Cruises are a great way to travel to multiple locations while having comfortable accommodations, food, and entertainment throughout your journey. Of course, cruises are expensive because of the wonderful experience. So, is it worth it to take a cruise or should you save your money and opt for a regular vacation instead? Popular cruise website, Cruzely found that three people can save $1400 by taking a cruise instead of a trip to a similar location. It is important to weigh the pros and cons of a cruise to make sure that it would be the best option for you and what you hope to get out of a vacation. Here are some things to consider about the costs of cruises.
Cruises vary in price drastically depending on the destination, length of the cruise, quality of the cruise line, what's included in the package, upgrades, optional services, and fees. However, if you plan properly, a cruise can cost less than a vacation to the same destination in a hotel or resort. Cruises can save money on food, drinks, excursions, and activities by providing them to you in one location. However, if you plan poorly, a cruise can cost more than other vacation options.
You have numerous cruise options. Specialize your vacation so that you get the most enjoyment possible while not spending more than necessary.
- Cruises offer a large variety of food and drinks for its travelers. If you want to enjoy all the food and drinks that the ship has to offer, consider the inclusive package. If you tend to limit the amount you eat and drink, you might benefit from a lower package and paying for drinks and other paid items as you enjoy them.
- There are a variety of extras that can ending up costing you more than you expected. Cruises have professional photographers there to take pictures for you and your loved ones, but they are extremely expensive. Most cell phones have amazing cameras nowadays that can take a picture just fine.
- Finally, avoid shops on the cruise ship as much as possible. The items are marked up substantially, and you can probably find a better deal when you get to shore.
- It seems that everybody must be constantly connected nowadays, but this could end up costing you a lot of money for little benefit. Of course, you want to share you experience with friends and family, but you can always share pictures and videos when you get back home. Many cruise lines offer a specific amount of internet for a fixed price. You may also be able to find places on shore with free Wi Fi to check in with your family and keep them informed about your travels. If you must buy an internet package, use it very sparingly and share with other members in your party.
- Air fare is one of the largest costs of travel. Depending on your destination, you may be able to avoid paying airfare by boarding a local ship instead. To make it even more convenient, US News reports that most cruises have boarding locations within 75% of most travelers in North America.
Don't Cancel Last Minute
- When you schedule a cruise, be sure to be committed. While cruises can save money in certain situations, they will cost you a lot of money if you don't cancel in plenty of time. For a typical cruise line like Carnival, you must cancel with 56 days notice to get 50% of the cost back. Higher end cruises may require 120 day notice! People with failing health may find themselves in a bind if the unexpected happens. Many lines offer cruise insurance that covers cancellations, but the insurance is extremely expensive.
Some Things are Priceless
One of the best things about cruises is that cruises keep things simple. Food and entertainment are conveniently located on the ship. You don't have to research and plan excursions and meals.
You also experience more of the world. Cruises typically visit many locations on a cruise, giving you more culture and experiences than going to one location.
Finally, you can feel safe on a cruise. Even in an exotic location, you can rest assured that your belongings will be safe in your room. Plus, many cruise members will go on the same excursions, giving power in numbers. You can even make friends!
Questions and Answers
Here are some common questions on the cost of cruises that might not have been covered earlier.
- Q: Is it worth it to upgrade my room?
A: Most cruise ships raise the price for luxury rooms an astronomical amount. For example, a standard room on a four-night Disney Magic cruise to the Bahamas costs $1,669, but they charge $6,984 for the concierge level rooms. Examine the differences and the price and think long and hard before upgrading.
- Q: How are cruises able to provide cheaper rates?
A: The situation varies from case to case, but cruise ships can provide cheaper vacations because of the size of the trip and the ability to reach places that are difficult to reach by plane.
- Q: What if the ship cancels a stop out of my control?
A: If weather or another reason out of the ship's control, there's no guarantee of reimbursement. If you are reimbursed, it will most likely be in credit on the ship.
- Q: Do I have to tip on a cruise?
A: Many cruises charge you for gratuity as part of the cost. Check the details of your trip carefully.